The president of the Ghana Library Association has been promoted to the rank of an Associate Professor of Information Science. From a humble beginning, Prof. Perpetua Sekyiwa Dadzie, obtained her B.A. French and Linguistics (1981) from the University of Ghana; Post-Grad Dip. Library Studies (1989) University of Ghana, M.Phil. Library Studies (2003) University of Ghana. She received her doctoral degree from the University of South Africa (UNISA) in 2013.
The 3rd Library and Information Week will officially be launched on Tuesday 27 October 2015 in Koforidua, Eastern Region. The special guest of honour will be H E Mrs Matilda Amissah-Arthur, Second Lady and wife of the Vice-President.
There will also be celebrations held throughout the week in specific institutions, including the Kofi Annan Peacekeeping Training Centre (in Teshie) and at Wisconsin International University College (in Haatso).
Come celebrate with us! The theme is: Libraries providing access to information.
The Second Lady, Mrs Matilda Amissah-Arthur has urged Ghanaians especially school children to deeply inculcate the habit of reading and accessing the libraries.
This, she said would help enrich their knowledge and equip them in their endeavours.
"They should also read wide and make good use of every social media platform at their disposal to access information to broaden their horizon," Mrs Amissah-Arthur said this at the opening of the third library and information week celebration in Koforidua. It was themed "Libraries providing access to information", the Second Lady said any nation that does not attach importance to reading is not worth mentioning, adding that a reading nation is winning nation. According to her, libraries are essential in every aspect of the nation's development because of their readiness to provide people with every information they need at any point in time.
At the recently held 2014 GLA Biennial congress and Annual General Meeting held 13-14 December in Cape Coast the following were elected/re-elected to the Council of the Ghana Library Association for the period 2014-16:
- President: Dr Perpetua Dadzie, Dept of Information Studies, Univ of Ghana
- Vice-President: Samuel Bentil Aggrey, College of Health Sciences, Univ of Ghana
- Treasurer: Monica Mensah, Balme Library, Univ of Ghana
- Immediate Past President: Albert Fynn
- Past President: Valentina Bannerman
- Secretary: Comfort Asare, Wisconsin International Univ College
- Assistant Secretary: Richard Fordjour, Accra College of Education
- Financial Secretary: Seth Katsekpor, Univ of Education Winneba, Kumasi campus
- Public Relations Officer: Eric Amponsah Amoaful, Balme Library, Univ of Ghana
- Chartered member: Paulina Kwafoa, Univ of Cape Coast
- Chartered member: Florence Entsua-Mensah, Dept of Information Studies, Univ of Ghana
- Chartered member: Michael Owusu-Acheaw, Koforidua Polytechnic
- Chartered member: Esther Agboh, Volta River Authority
- Chartered member: Alikem Tamakloe, Ghana Library Authority, Ho
- Associate member: Aaron Kuwornu, Ghana Library Authority, Tamale
- Associate member: Bright Akwetey, Univ of Cape Coast
- Retiree representative: Rose Pongo, Narh-Bita College, Tema
Congratulations to all, and thanks to those who have served the Association over the last two years.